The Special Activities that take place throughout the year are the herbs and spices of the Probus Perth menu. They add zest to the program and help to bring members together in pursuit of common interests and friendship.
We have been exceptionally fortunate to have had such interesting activities over the years.
For all events, priority is given to members and their guests. If there is room, members of other Probus Clubs are welcome to attend. For some events there may be minimum numbers of people required to proceed and there is usually a charge, payable in advance. The advance payments are normally reimbursed in full if the members are unable to attend or the activity does not proceed, unless a non-refundable deposit has to be paid to reserve the event. The club attempts to break even on all special activities.
Future Special Activities
- April 5, 2019 - “Get Your Maple Kick” at Fortune’s and Temple’s: Meet to carpool at 9:45am in the parking lot behind Perth Brewing on Hwy 511. At approximately 10am: meet at
Temples Sugar Bush, 1700 Ferguson Falls Rd (Ct Rd 15) for a walk about in Temples beautiful bush and log venue. Ray Fortune has made a reservation for 11am for lunch (order from the menu). At 1pm we will meet at
Fortune Farms Maple Sugar Bush, 2494 Wolf Grove Rd., where we will be given a guided tour showing the art and science of making maple syrup from pioneer days to the modern technique. Maple Products will be available at both locations. Mary will have adirections card available at the April meeting.
Oh and before you go, you may want to read
A Maples Tale by Ray Fortune.
- May 15, 2019 ~ Spring Fling and District meeting in North Grenville. Reservations required by April 19th
and the sign up will take place at the April meeting. All of the information for this event is contained in the following note:
- May 30, 2019 - Dinner/Theatre Event ~ Dinner at the
Stone Cellar, followed by “The Ladies Foursome” by Norm Foster at
the Studio Theatre. Sign up starts at the April meeting.
- June 5, 2019 ~ Lunch right after the June meeting, tentatively at the Cove in Westport.
- September 11 2019 ~ Ring of Fire at the 1000 Island Playhouse in Gananoque ~ A Musical Celebration of The Man in Black ~ Johny Cash. We will go to the Matinee performance. There are 50 seats reserved and sign up will start at the May meeting
- December 13, 2019 ~ Reserve this date for our Christmas party back at the Civitan Hall due to popular demand and with Simon Clarke, formerly of “Freddie and the Dreamers”, back this year as our entertainer!
Recent Previously Enjoyed Special Events
- February 21, 2019 - Dinner / Theatre Event ~ Invitation to join for dinner at
Maximilian’s at 5 p.m. Tickets for the comedy “Alone Together Again" at the Studio Theatre cost just $18 under our group rate. In this hilarious Broadway comedy which starts at 7 p.m., mom and dad have spent the last thirty years raising three active sons. They’ve so looked forward to the peace, the quiet and the privacy of an empty nest, and it’s finally happened! Peace? Quiet? Not for long. The empty nest fills up again with the unexpected arrival of their parents, each with their own comic problems. “Alone Together Again” is clever, witty, and wise.
- Feb 2, 2019 ~ Hockey Game in partnership with the Retired Teachers of Ontario for an evening hockey game between the Ottawa Senators and the Detroit Red Wings at 7pm. Tickets are $35 each including Big Mac, Fries & Drink coupon. Bus costs $10 per person (you do not need to take the bus).
- January 26, 2019 ~ Robbie Burns Dinner/Dance at the Perth Legion. Tickets $30/person./li>
- January 9, 2019 ~ Lunch right after the January meeting provided by the Legion Ladies. Lasagne or wraps, dessert, tea or coffee: $10.
- December 14, 2018 ~ Christmas party at the Civitan Hall with music by Smith and Smith. Appetizers at 5:30 and turkey dinner at 6:45. Those who did not elect to reserve a table for 8 had the opportunity to meet other members as the Social Committee finalized the seating. Tickets $37.50 each or $75/couple. Once again we had a variety of gifts provided by Club members.
- November 15, 2018 ~ Dinner / Theatre Event ~ dinner at 5 at Maximilians and the Studio Theatre presentation “The Marvellous Wonderettes DREAM ON”. Theater tickets cost $20.
- September 14, 2018 ~ the fall trip was to the Canadian Museum of History, 100 Laurier Street in Gatineau (formerly the Canadian Museum of Civilization) and MosaïCanada Horticultural Exhibit (at
Jacques Cartier Park). The cost for the bus and museum fee was $45. Admission to the MosaïCanada Gardens (across from the Museum) was $20 (optional). A group rate ($17) was available for 15 or more. Lunch was a persoanl choice: in the Museum at the Panorama Café, the Bistro Boréal or the Café Express, or at other restaurants in the area.
- June 27, 2018 ~ The annual trip to the 1000 Islands Playhouse in Ganaonque to see the “Buddy Holly Story”, with lunch before the show at the “Wheel and Anchor”, 600 King St. E., Ganonoque. Tickets for the play $30.00 each.
- June 6, 2018 ~ Probus Meeting: at Timber Run, 154 Caldwell Road, Lanark, ON. Starting at 9:30am for coffee/socializing, meeting at 10. Lunch (optional) at Timber Run is $16 (taxes included). Choice of Chicken Caesar Wrap or Roast Beef Cheddar Melt, pasta and green salads, coffee/tea and dessert. Lunch and wine tasting must be pre-ordered. Opportunity for wine tasting (3 reds and 2 whites): $7.50 payable at Timber Run.
- May 24, 2018 ~ Dinner/Theatre Event:Dinner at 5 pm at Michael’s Table, followed by the musical “Sister Act” at the Studio Theatre at 7:30
Tickets $20 each for the musical.
- April 10, 2018 ~ visit to the OMYA pits at Tatlock and the plany at Glen Tay. We car pooled to Lanark, meeting in the parking lot behind the Perth Brewing Company (next to Wendy’s) with parking in front of Purest as close to Hwy 511 as possible. We travelled to Lanark and parked in the Lanark Landing Parking Lot or along the street. The bus left the Lanark Landing Restaurant parking lot in Lanark Village at 10 am. Lunch at the
Lanark Landing Restaurant on our return. For those interested there was an afternoon visit to the OMYA plant on Highway 7. Cost for the bus is $5/person, payable on sign up. The bus was SOLD OUT.
- March 16, 2018 ~ Dinner/Movie Night: Dinner at 5 at the Stone Cellar followed by the movie “Murder on the Orient Express” at the Studio Theatre at 7:30. Movie Tickets are $10 at the door.
- January 20, 2018 ~ Robbie Burns Dinner/Dance: The Legion hosted this event once again at a cost of $30 per person.
- January 3, 2018 ~ The Legion Ladies prepared a special lunch after the January meeting. Tickets purchased at the December meeting, to confirm the numbers attending. Cost: $10 (lasagna with Caesar salad or wraps with vegetables, dessert, coffee and tea).
For a complete list of Special Events from the club's inception in 1996 to the end of 2017: