The Special Activities that take place throughout the year are the herbs and spices of the Probus Perth menu. They add zest to the program and help to bring members together in pursuit of common interests and friendship.
We have been exceptionally fortunate to have had such interesting activities over the years.
For all events, priority is given to members and their guests. If there is room, members of other Probus Clubs are welcome to attend. For some events there may be minimum numbers of people required to proceed and there is usually a charge, payable in advance. The advance payments are normally reimbursed in full if the members are unable to attend or the activity does not proceed, unless a non-refundable deposit has to be paid to reserve the event. The club attempts to break even on all special activities.
Future Special Activities
Note: Many of the following activities may have to be postponed,
re-scheduled or cancelled because of COVID-19.
Please watch for changes in the schedule.
- April 3, 2020 ~ We have been invited to a concert of the Red Dirt Skinners
~ 7pm at the Full Circle Theatre in Perth. They are a charming musical duo who won countless awards in the UK before coming to Ontario in 2017. The duo's concerts are community minded and are full of heartfelt stories and fantastic vocal harmonies together with the most beautiful saxophone solos from the UK's Instrumentalist of the Year, Sarah Skinner. They believe that we are their perfect audience and that our group would thoroughly enjoy the experience. Tickets $24 each.
- April 23, 2020 ~ Dinner Theatre Event: Dinner at 5pm at Maximilian's followed by Studio Theatre’s presentation of "Tempting Providence", a Comedy/Drama by Robert Chafe and directed by Jeremy Dutton. This is the inspiring true account of a Canadian legend. Tickets $17.
POSTPONED until further notice ~ More information.
April 30, 2020 ~ Kitchen Party ~ The Gallipeau Theatre in Smiths Falls presents “Welcome to the Rock”.
RESCHEDULED to October 15th ~ see below.
All purchased tickets will be available for pickup at a later date.
- May 22, 2020 ~ Coach Trip visit to Parliament Hill: A visit to the West Block, the Senate and a tour of the Tulips. The coach will leave the Factory on Sunset Blvd. at 7am for our scheduled tours of the Senate and the House. Please park at the front of the lot. Lunch stops will be made at the Rideau Centre and the Market. Opportunities to walk and photograph Ottawa’s tulip displays will be provided at Major’s Hill Park and Commissioners Park. We expect to return to the Factory at 6pm. Tickets will be available at the April 01st meeting at $33.00 each. A maximum of 48 places are available, so be sure to secure your place.
- May 27, 2020 ~ “Spring Fling 2020”, hosted by Probus Club of Cornwall and area, will be at the
Ramada Inn, 805 Brookdale Avenue, Cornwall. Cost is $39 per person. Registration at either the March or April meetings.
- June 3, 2020 ~ Our final meeting before the summer break, together with a lunch, will be held at the
Timber Run Golf Club clubhouse, at 154 Caldwell Road, Lanark. Tickets will be on sale at the April 01st and May 06th meetings. $24 each. Golf is being organised for those who wish to participate.
- June 17, 2020 ~ Reserve the date for our annual trip to the 1,000 Island Playhouse. 50 tickets available for "Back in '59". Lunch will be at
Muskie Jake’s in
the Gananoque Inn, walking distance from the theatre. As the show will not
finish until shortly before 5pm, individual dinner reservations at Riva or
other restaurants are also feasible. Tickets will be sold in April and May
at $30 each
- September 2020 ~ Fall Trip: The Special Events Team is currently investigating the following:
In order to gauge the level of interest for such a trip, club members’ input is being sought through an on-line survey, the link to which was emailed to members on January 25, 2020. The survey is still active and so if you haven’t done so already, please vote.
- A day trip to Quinte Botanical Gardens near Trenton
- A day trip to visit several Ottawa Museums
- An overnight trip to the Niagara Area to visit Niagara on the Lake and Niagara Falls etc
- An overnight trip to tour the Muskoka's including a Steamboat tour in Gravenhurst
- October 15, 2020 ~ Kitchen Party ~ The Gallipeau Theatre in Smiths Falls presents “Welcome to the Rock”. Enjoy this “Kitchen Party”, an evening of music and stories with the real people of Gander Newfoundland who inspired the world acclaimed play “Come from Away”. This is the remarkable story of the small town that welcomed the world on September 11th, 2001. Ian McDonald will be organizing this event. Tickets are $29.50 for theatre only and $34.50 for theatre and bus (to and from the Factory in Perth).
All purchased tickets will be available for pickup before the event.
Postponed from April 30th ~ more information
- December 11, 2020 ~ Reserve the date for our annual Christmas party at the Civitan Hall. Back by Popular Demand is Simon Clark, formerly of “Freddie and the Dreamers”, for our musical enjoyment.
Recent Previously Enjoyed Special Events
- February 27, 2020 ~ Dinner Theatre Event. Dinner at
Fiddleheads, 53 Herriott St, at 5pm, followed by Studio Theatre’s presentation of "Marion Bridge". Tickets on sale at the January and February meetings, at $17 each.
- January 25, 2020 ~ Robbie Burns Dinner/Dance at the Perth Legion. Drinks at 6, programme at 6.45, dinner at 7. Tickets $30/person.
- February 12, 2020 ~ Tour of Lanark Lifestyles retirement community, at 240 Gore Street East. Meet at 1:00pm.
- January 18 2020 ~ Hockey game at the Canadian Tire Centre in partnership with the Retired Teachers of Ontario for a late afternoon hockey game between the Ottawa Senators and the Calgary Flames at 4pm. Tickets $40 each including Big Mac, Fries & Drink coupon. Bus costs $10 per person (you do not need to take the bus). Tickets available at the December meeting only.
- January 8, 2020 ~ Lunch after the January meeting provided by the Legion Ladies. Lasagne or wraps, dessert, tea or coffee: $10. Tickets available at the December meeting only. At this lunch we recognised the latest members of our "Over 90's club". Following lunch, we joined friends across the road at the Weatherhead Brewery at 1:30 p.m. for a social tasting.
- December 13, 2019 ~ Probus Christmas Party at the Civitan Hall (appetizers at 5:30 pm followed by dinner at 6:45 pm). Paul Anthony / Warren provided the musical entertainment, filling in for Simon Clark. Cost $37.50 each or $75 a couple.
- November 14, 2019 ~ Dinner/Theatre event including dinner at Michael's Table 110 Gore St E, followed by Perth Community Choir's fall production of 'Shrek' at the Mason Theatre at PDCI, 13 Victoria Street. Tickets $22.
- October 28, 2019 ~ Prince Edward County Wine Tour! This full day outing included bus transportation to PEC, four estate visits (with two tours) and lunch at the Drake Devonshire Inn
in Wellington .
The coach departed Food Basics in Smiths Falls at 7:00 am and picked up at the Factory on Sunset Blvd. in Perth at 7.20am. This gave us a full day of activity with travel time to relax and enjoy the scenery, with our return at approximately 7 p.m.
First stop in the County was at Lake of the Mountain, overlooking the Glenora Ferry, to stretch our legs and take photos. We visited several producers in the course of our tour, including:
Total cost per person: $75 (excluding lunch). This included transportation, tastings, tours, exposure to local ciders, vinegars and wines; and friendship.
- The County Cider Company in Waupoos to taste a flight of ciders and have the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful location overlooking Lake Ontario
- The Black Prince Winery in Picton, one of the oldest wineries in the County, treated us to a tasting and introduced us to their wines and specialty barrel-aged fruit vinegars. We also learned about the lost craft of wine barrel making and a live demonstration at the Cooperage.
- A lunch stop at the
Drake Devonshire Inn
in Wellington for an opportunity to relax and refuel in time for two more exciting stops! The cost for lunch was $35 per person (alcoholic beverages not included.)
- The Sandbanks Estate Winery, located in Wellington, is one of the County’s oldest award-winning wineries. Another beautiful location, with a guided tour and a flight of 5 wines to taste in their cellar.
- Huff Estates Winery was our final destination of the day. This exceptional Bloomington winery provided us with an overview of their wines, plus tastings and a slice of pizza to tide us over on our return trip. They also have a lovely art gallery for those who wished to explore.
- September 11 2019 ~
Ring of Fire
at the 1000 Island Playhouse in Gananoque ~ A Musical Celebration of The Man
in Black ~ Johny Cash. We went to the Matinee performance, with lunch at
Muskie Jake's in the Ganonoque Inn at 11:30 prior to the theatre at 2:00. Please make a reservation so we can let the restaurant know the numbers.
- July 4, 2019 - Dinner/Theatre Event ~ Dinner at the
Stone Cellar, at 5:00pm ~ choice when signing up from
the attached menu; followed by “The Ladies Foursome” by Norm Foster at
the Studio Theatre.
Theatre tickets are at the group rate of $18. NOTE: change in date ~ originally planned for May 30th.
- June 5, 2019 ~ Probus Meeting and Lunch at the Cove Country Inn in Westport, followed by Afternoon Wine Tour
Signup at the April and May meetings ~ $30 for lunch ~ Read the details.
Please note: a section of County Road 10 or Scotch Line will be closed for road repairs starting May 21st. A good alternate route to Westport would be Count Road 6 or Christie Lake Road which turns into Althorpe Road and then turn south on Mountain towards Westport ~
see detailed information on the Lake 88 Website, including a map.
- May 15, 2019 ~ Spring Fling and District meeting in North Grenville. All of the information for this event is contained in the following note:
- April 5, 2019 - “Get Your Maple Kick” at Fortune’s and Temple’s: Carpooling to Temples Sugar Bush,
1700 Ferguson Falls Rd (Ct Rd 15) for a walk about in Temples beautiful bush
and log venue, with lunch at 11am in the beautiful restaurant. Meeting at Fortune Farms Maple Sugar Bush,
2442 Wolf Grove Rd., where there was a guided tour showing the art and
science of making maple syrup from pioneer days to the modern technique.
Maple Products were available at both locations.
Read: A Maples Tale by Ray Fortune.
Map for this activity.
- February 21, 2019 - Dinner / Theatre Event ~ Invitation to join for dinner at
Maximilian’s at 5 p.m. Tickets for the comedy “Alone Together Again" at the Studio Theatre cost just $18 under our group rate. In this hilarious Broadway comedy which starts at 7 p.m., mom and dad have spent the last thirty years raising three active sons. They’ve so looked forward to the peace, the quiet and the privacy of an empty nest, and it’s finally happened! Peace? Quiet? Not for long. The empty nest fills up again with the unexpected arrival of their parents, each with their own comic problems. “Alone Together Again” is clever, witty, and wise.
- Feb 2, 2019 ~ Hockey Game in partnership with the Retired Teachers of Ontario for an evening hockey game between the Ottawa Senators and the Detroit Red Wings at 7pm. Tickets are $35 each including Big Mac, Fries & Drink coupon. Bus costs $10 per person (you do not need to take the bus).
- January 26, 2019 ~ Robbie Burns Dinner/Dance at the Perth Legion. Tickets $30/person.
- January 9, 2019 ~ Lunch right after the January meeting provided by the Legion Ladies. Lasagne or wraps, dessert, tea or coffee: $10.
For a complete list of Special Events from the club's inception in 1996 to the end of 2018: